English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a term for a noun that is the "-er" form of a verb?

For example, one who races is the "racer", and the one who writes is the "writer", so "racer" and "writer" can both be classified as what kind of noun?

share|improve this question
up vote 14 down vote accepted

The term is agent noun.

The endings "-er", "-or", and "-ist" are commonly used in English to form agent nouns.

For further insight, see e.g. this question: What's the rule for adding -er vs. -or when nouning a verb?

share|improve this answer
You beat me to it. – Harold Cavendish Jul 14 '11 at 21:51

The suffix is called an agentive suffix, and such words are also often called agentive as well.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.