English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There's a word for writing prose, or indeed poetry, under self-imposed restrictions such as only using one vowel, or maximum word length, or only on initial character (such as the poem On Thriftiness)

What is that word, please?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

This is called constrained writing.

share|improve this answer
Hmmm. Would my daughter texting with a phone with a broken m key count? :-) – T.E.D. Jul 14 '11 at 17:00
Thank you... the word I couldn't recall was Lipogram, but that link is much broader and much more helpful. – Dancrumb Jul 14 '11 at 17:10
@Dancrumb: I know it more readily as Oulipo, so the English term just didn't sounds right at first. But it is conveniently transparent. – Mitch Jul 14 '11 at 20:19

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.