English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a word for specifically leaving behind a trace of yourself for others to find? Conceptually, something between a time capsule and geocaching.

share|improve this question
Do you have a flaaaag? – tenfour Jul 13 '11 at 0:29
@tenfour That must be an Eddie Izzard reference. Very funny! But no, I don't think the OP means leaving a trace as in marking territory. – Kit Z. Fox Jul 13 '11 at 0:32
When I first saw the title of this question, "Kilroy was here" immediately sprang to mind. – pavium Jul 13 '11 at 2:53
up vote 4 down vote accepted

There are a few words that denote the idea of a personal mark or signature that could encapsulate one's name. The idea of marking something or leaving a trace behind is very similar to the idea of signing.

Further than that, however, are the following concepts:

  • breadcrumbs — a trail of such marks intended to lead someone somewhere
  • inscription — typically a carving intended as a unique signature; it can also refer to calligraphy
  • epigraph — "an inscription on a building, statue, or coin"
  • easter egg — in addition to the holiday game, easter eggs also refer to hidden features or signatures in software, film and books
  • reference — a less peculiar version of the concept
share|improve this answer
+1 for epigraph and easter egg. I think easter egg is particularly apt for geocaches, since the contents are usually a surprise. – Kit Z. Fox Jul 13 '11 at 0:34

If you write your signature (or "[name] was here") as graffiti on a wall, that is a tag, and the action is tagging.

I have heard the term leave-behind for an object that you give away so that people will remember you (for example, salespeople leaving trinkets). This is marketing jargon, though, so it doesn't seem to match what you're looking for.

I can think of several nouns that could describe the thing or sign that is left (memento, trace, sign, mark, ...) but I can't think of a verb that describes the action of leaving it, in the sense that you seek.

share|improve this answer
+1 for tagging. – Kit Z. Fox Jul 13 '11 at 0:33

Legacy seems a good choice, given OP's requested "time capsule" connotation.

The word has become a bit tainted of late, because of all that legacy computer code. But it still has plenty of positive associations, and leaving a good legacy for the next generation is dear to the hearts of many.

share|improve this answer

After reading an article from The Atlantic on the topic of latrinalia, the term 'presence identifying' came up to refer to people writing their names or expressing a form of 'presence', so that could be applied to people writing 'was 'ere' too I suppose.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.