English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The most obvious example I can think of is the Mortal Kombat series. They replace almost all hard sounding C's with the letter 'K'. A couple other examples off the top of my head are 'Froot Loops', 'The Beatles', the Red Hot Chili Peppers album 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik'. There's a tonne more. I'm just wondering if there's a proper term for these types of words.

share|improve this question
I don't think "The Beatles" is even remotely in the same ballpark as the rest. It's a word play, a pun. Magik and Froot are not. – RegDwigнt Jul 12 '11 at 23:15
Yes, I agree, "The Beatles" is more of a play on words than deliberate misspelling. – whoabackoff Jul 12 '11 at 23:18
Of note, I have heard that Froot Loops are spelled that way to dodge a legal issue involving a product labeled Fruit not actually containing fruit. – MrHen Jul 13 '11 at 0:27
@MrHen, yeah I've heard that too. Also with the use of chocolaty instead of chocolate for foods not actually containing chocolate. – whoabackoff Jul 13 '11 at 5:45
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I'm amazed there is actually a term for this.

Yes, there is a name. It's :

Sensational Spelling: Sensational spelling is the deliberate spelling of a word in an incorrect or non-standard way for special effects.

Sensational spellings are common in advertising and product placement. In particular, brand names...

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.