English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm aware of what a palindrome is. What do you call words that, when reversed, form other words, such as ton (not) and part (trap)?

share|improve this question
I hereby nominate backwords as a neologism to cover this term. – Robusto Jul 11 '11 at 0:24
I nominate drowkcab. – Jay Elston Jul 11 '11 at 1:14
@Jay Elston Hello Might and Magic player. – Alan Jul 11 '11 at 6:45
up vote 8 down vote accepted

Semordnilap is a common name for them, which has been pretty well accepted.

I know that Carroll used them in his work, but I think the term (read it backwards) was invented later.

share|improve this answer
Hey, Guys, try Googling "Semordnilap", rather than just down-vote correct answers. – Mark Wallace Jul 11 '11 at 12:57
Ooohh... You are now the answer to my question. Thanks very much. – Dark Star1 Jul 11 '11 at 15:04

It is a type of anagram:

An anagram is a type of word play, the result of rearranging the letters of a word or phrase to produce a new word or phrase, using all the original letters exactly once; e.g., orchestra = carthorse,

Any word or phrase that exactly reproduces the letters in another order is an anagram.

Nota Bene: The emphasis is mine.

share|improve this answer
How can you be sure? I mean it seems so, but what gives you certainty? Anyway, here is a reference english-for-students.com/Palindromes-1.html, though would like to have better – Unreason Jul 11 '11 at 0:43
@Unreason I like that link however the technical description of an Anagram seems to be the closest/ right fit. So for now I'll have to go with that. Thanks all the same – Dark Star1 Jul 11 '11 at 1:55

Wikipedia's Palindrome article gives semordnilap, as Mark Wallace's answer correctly pointed out. It also lists several alternatives:

volvograms, heteropalindromes, semi-palindromes, half-palindromes, reversgrams, mynoretehs, reversible anagrams, word reversals, or anadromes.

Such pairs could also reasonably be called mutual palindromes, by analogy with mutual recursion and mutual quine

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.