English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am organizing a support event for a firework display.

If someone buys a 2000円 ticket, it will pay for another "firework unit" being launched in the sky.

In Japanese we say "一発", but is there an equivalent word in English?

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

I think the most natural thing to say is simply firework:

Every time someone buys a ticket, it will fund one more firework.

share|improve this answer

The fireworks industry specific word is shell. As in artillery shell.

share|improve this answer

How about:

Fireworks device/A stick of fireworks/A pyrotechnic composition/A burst of fireworks?

As in, everytime somebody buys a ticket, it funds one more fireworks device

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.