Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A business founded (or a building built or a monument dedicated) in 1854 might have a sign or plaque reading "EST'D 1854" or "EST 1854" or "ESTD 1854", or some other combination I haven't seen or heard of.

What is the correct way to abbreviate the word "established" in this manner? What is the correct way to capitalize this abbreviation?

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

up vote 2 down vote accepted

There is no single correct way to write it. Estd seems more common on older signs, or things that were established longer ago.

I've seen Estd written in many different ways:

  • ESTḌ 1862

  • ESTD 1824

  • ESTD 1817

  • Estd. 2001

Likewise for Est:

  • EST. 1946

  • Est. 2002

  • EST 1937

The capitalisation usually depends if the accompanying name or text is capitalised.

share|improve this answer

Heinz factories buildings (some are no longer producing) that are now Apartment Lofts in Pittsburgh has the abbreviation for Established as EST'B'D.

share|improve this answer
Indeed this is true! Photographic proof: flickr.com/photos/mrvelocipede/6105020956 –  Mark Beadles Oct 20 '12 at 0:27

I have seen both

EST 1854


Est. 1854

though I tend to think Est. 1854 is more common.

share|improve this answer

In most of the advertisements and signs, it is Capital, with no period

EST 1854

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.