English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When I glance at the sun, or a bare light bulb, I find that when I blink, or move my eyes, a superimposed image of the bright object appears wherever I look. What is this called?

share|improve this question
Compare phosphene, which is the same kind of image only not produced by light. – Robusto Jul 5 '11 at 14:10
up vote 7 down vote accepted

An after-image.

Oxford English Dictionary:

"The impression retained by the retina of the eye, or by any other organ of sense, of a vivid sensation, after the external cause has been removed."

share|improve this answer
I was going to say this, but the rescources that I used refered to after-image as mainly an optical illusion, not the condition of being exposed to a bright light. – OghmaOsiris Jul 5 '11 at 13:40
@Colin: Does this definition include sounds impressed on the ear? – Daniel Jul 5 '11 at 13:45
@drm65: why are you asking me? Your interpretation of the OED is as valid as mine. – Colin Fine Jul 5 '11 at 13:50
@colin: Now that is a compliment! – Daniel Jul 5 '11 at 13:57

Flash blindness

share|improve this answer
Though I think flash blindness means that your entire vision is impaired; this isn't quite the same thing. – Daniel Jul 5 '11 at 13:44
I would say that my vision is impared if I have a giant round ball of light where my retina's got over exposed, lol. – OghmaOsiris Jul 5 '11 at 13:45
The point was "entire" - not "impaired". Flash blindness appears to imply that the whole vision is affected, not just a part. – Daniel Jul 5 '11 at 13:47

You used to get this with plasma televisions and it was called burn-in. Perhaps visual burn-in applies?

share|improve this answer
It sounds a little contrived or vernacular, but I suppose it might work somewhere. – Daniel Jul 5 '11 at 14:05
No, visual burn does exist, but is something different. Sometimes called 'navigator's eyeball', it refers to a condition where constantly looking at a bright light, (such as the sun through a sextant) has left a patch of the eyeball permanently impaired. – TimLymington Jul 5 '11 at 14:56

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.