English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

On professional social network sites (like LinkedIn) there are terms like 'recommend someone' or 'endorse someone'. What could be an alternative term that is somewhat lighter in meaning as compared to endorsing someone, but rather more inclined towards meaning 'to appreciate someone in academic or professional context or to appreciate his works'?

I need to use a noun as well as a verb of the term.

share|improve this question
What are 'SN sites'? – Jez Jul 1 '11 at 7:55
@Jez, Social Network (e.g. linkedin). – Alain Pannetier Φ Jul 1 '11 at 7:57
up vote 2 down vote accepted

A few possibilities:

  • to support/to back.
  • to value
share|improve this answer

How about this:


share|improve this answer
No, a typo. :-) – Thursagen Jul 1 '11 at 11:22
I saw it here – Thursagen Jul 1 '11 at 11:34

How about associate:

a partner or colleague in business or at work

( associate oneself with) allow oneself to be connected with or seen to be supportive of

share|improve this answer

I don't know the context you are going for, so maybe too lighthearted, but if you're leaning away from the "endorse" or "vouch for" idea, maybe you just want something that casually indicates that we could/did hang out together such as, "High Fives" or "Lunches with."

share|improve this answer

I believe "thumbs up" or "like" covers this.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.