Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've often wondered why my Ohio license is called a "driver license". It is awkward to say it like that.

Wouldn't something like driver's license be more appropriate?

Or driving license (like hunting license)?

results from the almighty google

(Note: image above shows driver, driver's, and drivers variations.)

share|improve this question
Questions with pictures, automatic +1, but what's with the babies? –  Callithumpian Jun 28 '11 at 20:29
@callithumpian I don't know--that's just what came up in Google when I searched for driver license. Maybe people think they're cute so they share them –  Michael Haren Jun 28 '11 at 20:35
Hahaha! Nice one, didn't see it until @Callithumpian pointed it out!\ –  Thursagen Jun 28 '11 at 20:35
@Callithumpian: to say nothing of the vulgar gesture being made by the Ontario tyke... –  PSU Jun 28 '11 at 21:48
The image does not reflect a proper ontario licence. –  Incognito Jun 29 '11 at 2:49

3 Answers 3

New Oxford American has this:

driver's license |ˈdraɪvərz ˈˈlaɪsns| noun a document permitting a person to drive a motor vehicle. driving licence noun British term for driver's license .

share|improve this answer
I don't think I've ever heard "driving license" here in the US. –  jackgill Jun 28 '11 at 20:39
and yet my license (and most of those in the image) say "driver license"... –  Michael Haren Jun 28 '11 at 20:53
In New South Wales, Australia - it's "Driver Licence". –  WOPR Jun 29 '11 at 0:03
In India subcontinent it's called "Driving Licence" –  user80674 Jun 19 at 19:46

Actually, try reading it like this:

Licence of Driver.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, although we would be more comfortable saying "driver's" or "driving"

"Driver" is just describing what kind of a license it is, not whose. Other examples would be "bar-tender license" not "bar-tender's license"

share|improve this answer
But when you talk about a restaurant license, you talk about a, well, restaurant license, not a restaurant's license. Whereas if you're talking about a driver's license, you almost always use the possessive. So this can't be the difference. –  Marthaª Jun 28 '11 at 20:59
Agreed. I had to look at mine (Connecticut, USA) to discover what it said; I've always used "driver's" conversationally, and it took me by surprise. When I thought it through, this is the answer I came up with also. –  PSU Jun 28 '11 at 21:51

The answer is that the name of the document is prescribed by law. The name is just whatever was chosen when the legislation was written.

share|improve this answer
ok, so if a legislator asked what he or she should write, what would you advise? –  Michael Haren Jun 28 '11 at 23:36
I would advise driver's license because it makes the most sense grammatically. It literally means "license of (some unspecified) driver." Phrases that use the possessive similarly that come to mind are swimmer's ear and plumber's grease. Driving license also makes sense, but sounds more British to me. –  jackgill Jun 28 '11 at 23:54
@Michael Haren: Fortunately, an unlikely situation to arise, given the spread of requirements for licences to drive motor vehicles. –  Marcin Jun 29 '11 at 8:15

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.