English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for a synonym for "proud parents" or "thrilled parents" (of a newborn child) but don't want to use proud as it looks bit show-offy.

share|improve this question
Well, if you don't want to use proud, you've already got your thrilled option. But honestly, the phrase proud parents, when used to refer to parents of a newborn, is generally understood to mean happy parents. They are beaming because they are overjoyed, not because they are proud, per se. – John Y Jun 25 '11 at 15:17
up vote 8 down vote accepted

Delighted/well-pleased/joyous/elated/ecstatic parents

share|improve this answer
Delighted is very good, thanks. not enough rep yet – romesub Jun 25 '11 at 6:14

"Recently reproduced?"
"Delighted dad" and "Merry mom"
"Excited ancestors?" (not quite alliterative, but hey)
"Pleased progenitors?"
"Beaming begetters?"

share|improve this answer
+1 "Beaming Begetters" LOL – Thursagen Jun 25 '11 at 6:27
I should have been clear - only looking for the "proud" or "thrilled" part – romesub Jun 25 '11 at 6:50
@romesub - In that case may I suggest: http://thesaurus.com/browse/proud – MT_Head Jun 25 '11 at 6:52
yes i did that, but could not find "delighted" which suits me perfectly from the other answer – romesub Jun 25 '11 at 6:54
+1 for "Beaming Begetters" haha – Paul Amerigo Pajo Jun 25 '11 at 6:55

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.