English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for a word akin to 'cismontane' that refers to oceans or seas. Does this exist?

share|improve this question

Cis- is a particle like trans-, so you can use it to construct words with some confidence that readers will understand (or be able to work out) what you mean. Not much confidence in this case, since cis- is uncommon in normal English. That said, you could try


(I am part of a small but easily amused group who would understand cispondial as meaning "on this side of the Atlantic" :-)

share|improve this answer
LLL OOO LLL !!!!!! hah! english.stackexchange.com/questions/30295/… – Joe Blow Jun 24 '11 at 13:10
+1 for helping me find cisatlantic. – MrHen Jun 24 '11 at 13:37
I'm a bit humbled to realise that but for this page I personally wouldn't have known cis- as a meaningful English prefix. I know enough French that the sound automatically associates with "here", but I had no idea it could be used in composite English words. I'm now a fully signed-up member of your "small but easily amused group", ty. :) – FumbleFingers Jun 25 '11 at 2:15

Keying off of Rhodri's excellent answer, I remembered the word transatlantic:

of, relating to, or situated on the other side of the Atlantic

Typing in cisatlantic shocked me because my spellchecker claimed it was a word. So I looked it up:

on the same side of the Atlantic as the speaker

Oddly, there is transpacific but no cispacific in the same dictionary. But, in the case of talking between Europe and America, you can safely use cisatlantic.

share|improve this answer
It's uncommon enough that I wouldn't be entirely sure about being safe, but have +1 anyway. – user1579 Jun 24 '11 at 14:01
+1 for being inspired to type in cisatlantic in the first place! – FumbleFingers Jun 25 '11 at 2:06

I don't think such a single word for this, but there are alternative phrases:

On my native shores

That should indicate pretty much that it is the native shores of the speaker or author.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.