English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Has anyone ever heard the phrase "taking him going away" used to describe the experience of hooking a fish ("him") while it is moving away from/in the opposite direction of the person fishing?

share|improve this question

This looks to be more of a hunting phrase from these two references I found:

enter image description here

enter image description here

I'm not familiar with this being adopted into fishing lingo—at least not in fly-fishing. Although there may be similar terms for the different ways a fish can take a fly. If a fish is hit by a hook and caught other than by its mouth, it is said to be snagged.

share|improve this answer

I've not heard it exactly like that but I fully understand the meaning. When a fish takes bait there is a window of opportunity to strike to ensure a secure contact between hook and fish. That window of opportunity varies between fish and bait (and many other factors).

"Taking him going away", I would interpret as let the fish run and then strike. Another similar example would be - Let the carp head-off and strike when the float is under

share|improve this answer
All helpful answers - thanks, friends! – Patricia McMillen Jul 15 '11 at 14:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.