Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am a uh, designer of websites, and I would like to use the phrase for my profession correctly. Unfortunately, webdesigner is flagged by Google Chrome's spellchecker as a misspelling, and web designer and web-designer are suggested as alternatives. Dictionary.com only suggests web designer, not even web-designer.

Is webdesigner a misspelling?

share|improve this question
Wiktionary also suggests web designer as an alternative: en.wiktionary.org/wiki/web_designer –  Kzqai Jun 21 '11 at 16:49
I'd say it's a straightforward typo. it's two words. –  Joe Blow Jun 21 '11 at 20:59
Why is it so important to you that your profession be a single word? –  slim Jan 24 '12 at 23:24
Well, for example, if you write webdesigner as one word, it won't be split across lines, whereas two words it will. But in general, I'll be damned if I'll just accept authority (in this case, dictionary authority) blindly, especially in an area where the authority presumably moves slower than the rapid fire evolution of the english language itself. shrugs –  Kzqai Jan 24 '12 at 23:47

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

"Misspelling" is a fluid category in English, especially for compound words. In general there is a trend for such compounds to first be written with a space (web designer), then with a hyphen (web-designer), then as a single word (webdesigner), as each step in this progression indicates a tighter coupling between the parts of the compound.

In this particular case, your dictionary is telling you the truth. The term web designer is fairly new and still semantically transparent, so it's written as two words.

share|improve this answer
The OP is just ahead of his time, that's all :) In a few years' time (if this question is still accessible online) I'm sure that people will wonder why he even had to ask! –  MT_Head Jun 21 '11 at 17:00
I haven't noticed softwaredesigner or interactiondesigner showing up as single words yet, and those concepts have been around for longer. –  Monica Cellio Jun 21 '11 at 17:03
@Monica Cellio: Also haven't seen "machineoperator" or "cardiacsurgeon" or "assistanttotheregionalmanager" either. ^)^ –  Robusto Jun 21 '11 at 18:29
@MT_Head: kicking out hyphens cuts both ways. Fig-leaf is fig leaf now, hobby-horse is hobby horse; ice cream, pin money, pot belly, test tube have all been split. Language Log has some links. –  RegDwigнt Jun 21 '11 at 19:37
@MonicaCellio nor bridgedesigner or fabricdesigner. English speakers seem not to mind spaces as much as (say) Germany speakers. –  slim Jan 24 '12 at 23:22

Web designer is two words in English, but English is a Germanic language and so we frequently combine words into new compound words.

share|improve this answer
welcome to EL&U. No need to sign within an answer - in fact, custom here on StackExchange sites is to recommend against any signature or tagline. Your username is enough, and it links to your user profile where you can let people know anything else important about you :) –  aedia λ Jun 21 '11 at 17:24

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.