English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Primary question: A common speaking mistake is to exchange syllables of words, saying "It's trace rhyme!" instead of saying "It's race time!", or pronouncing "kickin' chackatory" instead of "chicken cacciatore." Is there an existing name in poetry, linguistics, or English studies for switching syllables of (quasi-)consecutive words? I am not especially interested in the case when switching syllables results in interpretable homonyms or portmanteaus, like in the first example.

Secondary question: if not, what would you call it?

Tertiary question: is there somewhere a (playful?) taxonomy of fruitful or unfruitful lingual aberrations?

share|improve this question
parentdish.com/2007/11/23/… – Laserallan Jun 21 '11 at 21:48
up vote 13 down vote accepted

It's a Spoonerism.

share|improve this answer
+1: Technical term is metathesis. – Robusto Jun 21 '11 at 13:54

In answer to the third part of your question, there is a list of types of changes in pronunciation available on Wikipedia.

share|improve this answer

In an answer to the third part of your question, there is a list of figures that are related to the order. However, it is not so much playful as much as it is classical.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.