English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I collect game dice as a hobby. What is a word for someone who collects dice?

share|improve this question
seems to be "dice collector" – JoseK Jun 21 '11 at 11:13
"D&D player" :-) – Mark Hurd Jun 21 '11 at 12:54
@Manu Are they 'open' dice or 'closed' dice? :p – Darwy Sep 12 '11 at 9:55
up vote 10 down vote accepted

The official word is "dice collector". This is taken from a dice collecting site:

You'll be able to chat to fellow dice collectors from all over the world,

There's also the Dice Collector Forum, for discussing dice collecting.

share|improve this answer
I believe this refers to a personal who physically collects dice, as part of the game of Craps, rather than someone who collects dice as a hobby. – rintaun Jun 21 '11 at 11:29
surely you're mistaking the OP's meaning of "collects" here ! He means as a hobby , and not recover – JoseK Jun 21 '11 at 11:29
Oh, shucks! All that trouble for nothing! – Thursagen Jun 21 '11 at 11:32
+1 for the research – Thursagen Jun 21 '11 at 11:37

If you mean what is the word that has the same relation to game dice collection as philately to stamp collection?

Then, I don't think there is already one (also note: while dictionaries define philately as collection and study of stamps, according to encyclopedias stamp collecting is not the same as philately, which is the study of stamps, see here and here).

If you want to be inventive you could attempt to coin:

phil- "loving" + astragaloi "knucklebones"

EDIT: This form was chosen due to etymology of philately

The word "philately" is the English version of the French word "philatélie", coined by Georges Herpin in 1864. Herpin stated that stamps had been collected and studied for the previous six or seven years and a better name was required for the new hobby than timbromanie, which was disliked. He took the Greek root word phil or philo, meaning an attraction or affinity for something, and ateleia, meaning "exempt from duties and taxes" to form "philatelie". The introduction of postage stamps meant that the receipt of letters was now free of charge, whereas before stamps it was normal for postal charges to be paid by the recipient of a letter.

The alternative terms "timbromania", "timbrophily" and "timbrology" gradually fell out of use as philately gained acceptance during the 1860s.

share|improve this answer
Perhaps it would be better to have "philastragaly" or "philastragale", on the pattern of "philanthropy" or "misanthrope" (not "philanthropoi", "misanthropoi", even though "men" is "anthropoi" in Greek). – psmears Jun 21 '11 at 12:00
My mistake. You see I'm french and in French "philatélie" means stamp collecting, "numismatie" means coin collecting and so on. I only recently (10 minutes ago) learned that in english those words mean "the study of _" – Manu Jun 21 '11 at 12:01
@psmears, I've put in your suggested form of philastragaly – Unreason Jun 21 '11 at 12:20
It seems that, even in French, the word means "study of _" as well as "collecting _" – Manu Jun 21 '11 at 15:17
I think lots of English speakers also believe philately means stamp collecting (and if lots of English speakers believe it, who's to say they're wrong?). – Peter Shor Sep 6 '11 at 10:45

Following "coin collector", "stamp collector", and so on, the collector of dice should be known as a "die collector".

share|improve this answer
+1 for the use of "die" as the singular to follow "coin" and "stamp". – MisterSquonk Jun 21 '11 at 22:48

The Romans had actual dice, rather than the Greek knucklebones: the word was alea, as in Caesar's "Alea iacta est". Wouldn't aleaphile be easier to pronounce?

share|improve this answer

going with Unreason may I propose astragaloiphile

and as psmears suggested (going by the "anthromorphoi" precedent) - astragalophile

share|improve this answer
I think "astragalophile" would work slightly better - it's "anthropophage" not "anthropoiphage" ("men" is "anthropoi"). – psmears Jun 21 '11 at 12:01
I used the reverse pattern to mimic philately (which, btw, has interesting etymology) – Unreason Jun 21 '11 at 12:21
@psmears the thought occurred to me :) thanks for the "anthropoi" precedent - I'll include it in the edited answer @Unreason oh that's why you ordered it like that - nice suggestion btw - I'm just a dwarf standing on the shoulder of giants :) – Paul Amerigo Pajo Jun 22 '11 at 14:02

A tongue-in-cheek term:

Someone who collects dice is a cubist.

share|improve this answer
Nearly funny, except for all those non-cubic polyhedra they use for dice with other than 6 sides :) – Arcane Engineer Oct 14 '11 at 20:49
@NickWiggill, details, details... – Caleb Oct 14 '11 at 21:36
This is really a comment, not an answer to the question. Please use "add comment" to leave feedback for the author. – tchrist Aug 19 '12 at 2:37
@tchrist Mine may not be the answer, but it's certainly an answer. The OP doesn't specify the context, and a tongue-in-cheek term may be helpful, if not to the OP then perhaps to a future reader. The question asks for a term, and I offered one. I'm not asking for clarification -- I don't understand why you think this should be a comment. – Caleb Aug 19 '12 at 3:26
@tchrist It's meant to be a humorous term, but I didn't offer this answer simply as a joke. The set of amusing answer and the set of "real" answers do occasionally intersect. – Caleb Aug 19 '12 at 3:49

Philocubist is a person who loves dice games but not specifically a collector, and tesserarian is "of, like or pertaining to dice games" but even though dice games pre-date historical records, there is not a known term used by present-day collectors

share|improve this answer
Thanks, I didn't know that one ! – Manu Mar 25 '14 at 19:44

You collect dice with a rake at a craps table (and other less popular games). A more invented term for a die collector would be a raker.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.