English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there an antonym for 'Formalize'?

As to make something not formal.
Would it be Deformalize, Unformalise, Informalize, or something else?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Deformalize is the correct term. The dictionary gives the origin and definition :

to make less formal; Origin: 1875–80; de- + formalize

However, the dictionary doesn't give records of unformalise or informalize

share|improve this answer
Thanks, I thought I had looked on that site already and could not find the term, guess not. – Daveo Jun 20 '11 at 4:06

Deformalize and informalize both are synonyms and mean exactly what you are looking for - the antonym for formalize. Since informal is a well-known word (an antonym for formal), it should be easier for others to understand informalize than to understand deformalize.

Also note that as formal means being in accord with established forms, following a certain order, an antonym to this could also be disorder, which expresses an absence of order; state of not being arranged in an orderly manner.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.