English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to write the following:

This is due to the dramaticness of the day.

What other word can I use?

share|improve this question
In what context: A revolution? A love affair? Contextless questions are very difficult to answer. – Lambie Feb 4 at 15:59
@lambie dramaticness is not a word in any context ... – sgroves Feb 4 at 21:11
Oh really? I would never ever have dreamt it was. [sarcasm]. Be that as it may, to try and help, one needs some context. There's a guy who works for the BBC called Gramaticus. Love that name. – Lambie Feb 4 at 22:08
I'm guessing your meaning is along the lines assumed by the answers already given. But are you saying the day itself is dramatic? (Like a dramatic sunrise, or dramatic weather throughout the day.) Or are you saying a lot of people acted dramatically today? (Which is what everyone assumes you meant.) I don't think it would really affect which "drama"-based word you'd use, but it could affect the way you use it. – MichaelS Feb 5 at 6:31

The root word drama fits: "This is due to the drama of the day."

3 a : a state, situation, or series of events involving interesting or intense conflict of forces
b : dramatic state, effect, or quality - the drama of the courtroom proceedings - M-W

share|improve this answer

It isn't in any official dictionary, though it does appear on community dictionaries like Urban Dictionary and Wordnik.

Merriam-Webster offers dramatism as the appropriate word to mean dramatic manner or form.

share|improve this answer
Thank you for your reply: Is it correct to write, This is due to the dramatism of the day? – Shrey Aryan Feb 4 at 10:58
That's how I would write it, yeah. – John Clifford Feb 4 at 10:59
It also has just a couple of examples in the OED - the most recent being 1901. But I don't see the point. Drama gives better effect in my view. Some people have a dreadful tendency to create long words for things where thee is a perfectly good short one - (what is the quietness if not the quiet). – WS2 Feb 4 at 11:15
You mean there are people who will use verbose terminology when a diminutive vocabulary would suffice? :) – John Clifford Feb 4 at 11:17
@ChongDogMillionaire I know that; I didn't bother as it was just a stupid joke comment. And I didn't do it with my first comment as there was only one prior to it and I assumed OP was still checking the post. – John Clifford Feb 4 at 12:10

If you're trying to describe how people would overreact, then "melodrama", "histrionics", "theatricality" or even dramatics might be close, instead of "drama". Which one you use depends on the context around your line - if you're referring to a society or large group of people, the above words fit better. If you're describing a situation between a few people, "drama" fits perfectly.

Also check out this SE question: Is there a single word for a person who overreacts?

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.