English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Could someone please tell me which transitive verbs can form notional passives? I only know that they are usually formed with intransitive active verbs.

share|improve this question
Think it might help to explain what you mean by "notional passive"? – Neil Coffey Jun 18 '11 at 19:20

A notional passive is an active, normally transitive verb that is used with a passive 'meaning'. It is not an actual passive verb, but it resembles one. In general, there is no limit to which transitive verbs can be used with a notional passive; in many cases, you could apply it to new verbs. It does look informal with verbs that are not commonly used this way.

  • People read this sentence without effort.

  • This sentence is read without effort. — [passive]

  • This sentence reads well. — [active, but notional passive]

It could be defined as a verb that is syntactically active but has its subject in the semantic role of a patient—or any other role normally occupied by the object of the verb when it is active.

share|improve this answer
Crikey. That was an erudite answer! applause – Joe Blow Jun 18 '11 at 20:44
@JoeBlow: Hah, thanks! Actually I had to Google it... – Cerberus Jun 18 '11 at 20:47
Is there any difference between "notional passive" and "ergative"? Sounds a bit of a wishy-washy term unless I'm missing something... – Neil Coffey Jun 18 '11 at 20:50
@NeilCofey: I was trying to think of ergative, but it refused to come up. I think at least the terms overlap to a large extent. But frankly I have always found ergative ill chosen, because it is terribly unintuitive. A "working" verb—I'm always forced to look it up. Notational passive is quite clear, by contrast. By the way, I think ergative was invented for other languages than English and is mainly used to describe the ergative case. In other words, I generally wouldn't touch that word with a long pole. But you may be right. – Cerberus Jun 18 '11 at 21:10
"ergative" is reasonably common as a term to describe English, though I admit it's an unintuitive word. Maybe something like "passivoid" would have been better. One problem also with the term/notion is that there's sometimes a blurred line between "unaccusative" and "ergative". – Neil Coffey Jun 19 '11 at 0:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.