English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

I was out for a meal with a few Spanish friends of mine and at one stage during the evening we all "clinked" (?) or touch our glasses together. This is something that is usually done after someone makes a toast.

I was then asked what the term for this was in English and I didn't know. There is a term in Spanish for this, but I am not aware of one in English.

I have asked a few people and some people have suggested "A toast" but I do not believe this is the case.

Can anyone help me with what this is called?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Mazura, Rathony, Andrew Leach Jan 27 at 8:58

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

I just saw that one myself! looks like that's probably the answer so. – AidanO Jan 26 at 16:19
Just curious, what's the term in Spanish? – Matt Jan 26 at 16:20
@Matt: "To clink (glasses)" is "chocar (las copas)" in Spanish. – ermanen Jan 26 at 16:39
Just FYI @AidanO "chink" (a crack, like in a wall, or in armor) is also a derogatory term for an Asian or Chinese, specifically, so I would avoid using that word for the action of "cheers"ing or toasting even if it were the right spelling! – TylerH Jan 26 at 18:49

The term I've always heard used for this is clinking glasses.

[intransitive, transitive] to make or cause something to make a sharp ringing sound, like that of glasses being hit against each other

  • clinking coins
  • The coins clinked into the slot in the machine.
  • clink something They clinked glasses and drank to each other's health.

—Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary

Here's a quote from the "Ettiquette International" web page about toasting, which uses the word:

End on a positive note. A toast should always be upbeat. Lead your audience to a conclusion with a generally accepted gesture like "Raise your glass" or clinking.

share|improve this answer

A toast means you lift up your glass and say something to those present. And it may not include clinking/touching glasses at all. Similarly, you can clink glasses with someone, and have no toast at all. Clinking glasses means you lightly touch your glass to someone else's glass.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.