English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There are famous pubs in Budapest and Berlin which are operated in abandoned or soon to be demolished buildings.

Some call them ruin pubs, but I'm not quite sure that's the correct name.

share|improve this question
A pub in ruins... is a ruin pub; it makes sense. :-) – CesarGon Jun 17 '11 at 10:54
up vote 5 down vote accepted

At night time, Budapest holds a truly epic secret. I talked a bit about drinking in the streets of Hong Kong last month. Well Budapest has one up on Hong Kong: Introducing Ruin Pubs. This concept is basically a bar in a derelict or ruined building. It’s very quirky, very cheap, very good for meeting people and you can draw on the walls! Some of these are so popular that the Germans have taken the concept to Berlin. Others are literally hidden and unless someone shows you where it is then you won’t have a clue!

Article on Budapest It seems that ruin pubs is the proper name for those establishments. You can see the list of them (not sure if it's a full list) on ruinpubs.com

share|improve this answer
OH right, I misunderstood the question. I though it was about pubs which had fallen into ruin. I now see that it means ruins which are used as pubs. I had not met the concept before. – Colin Fine Jun 17 '11 at 11:26
I know the site, but it is a hungarian one, so they could make up this word :) – KARASZI István Jun 17 '11 at 11:42
@KARASZI István Most probably they did exactly that. But that's how those pubs are known now. And since Hungarians were the authors of this concept, they have the right to name it too, haven't they? – Philoto Jun 17 '11 at 12:13
Only when it's appropriate. They could call it awesome pubs as well - which they are actually :) - but that would not refer their main property correctly. – KARASZI István Jun 17 '11 at 12:57
I don't believe there was any established English phrase for this concept, and ruin pub is a great name for it, so clearly it has become the correct one. – Peter Shor Jun 18 '11 at 11:03

I don't know a word for pubs in that state specifically, but a word for such buildings in general is derelict.

share|improve this answer
How appropriate: a bunch of derelicts being derelict in a derelict. – Kit Z. Fox Jun 17 '11 at 11:41
@Kit: Thwack. (Really, you should know better than that. Hmph.) – Marthaª Jun 18 '11 at 3:50

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.