Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How did the term "flicks" come to relate to "movies" or "cinema"? Where did "flicks" come from?

share|improve this question
Downvoted as no research shown, and voted to close as general reference. –  Hugo Dec 8 '11 at 20:46
add comment

closed as general reference by Hugo, Daniel, simchona, Mr. Shiny and New 安宇, RegDwigнt Dec 9 '11 at 7:25

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

up vote 5 down vote accepted

From the flickering appearance of early movies.

share|improve this answer
Yes. Early slang for a movie (which is itself a shortening of "moving picture") was a "flicker-show", because early film projectors had a rather large advance time between frames, in which a shutter obstructs the light source. –  KeithS Jun 17 '11 at 15:48
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.