English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I can't find one anywhere and can't think of one either, but this is a clever group and maybe someone has a synonym for force-feed, in the sense not of forcible indoctrination, but physically forcing someone to eat something.

share|improve this question

gavage (noun)
the administration of food or drugs by force, especially to an animal, typically through a tube leading down the throat to the stomach.

(New Oxford American Dictionary)

share|improve this answer
Oh fantastic! I will accept in a couple of minutes. Thank you so much! :) – Jan F. Jun 13 '11 at 16:06
Yuck! (or 'excellent!' if you're passed out in the hospital) – Mitch Jun 13 '11 at 16:54
I noticed this is from the French, gaver, "to force-feed." Is there an equivalent verb form in English? – Callithumpian Jun 13 '11 at 19:52
I'm quite partial to gavage. It just has that je ne c'est quoi. – jyc23 Jun 14 '11 at 4:17
+1, extremely nice word. Could we possibly add in a guide on the pronunciation? – Joseph Weissman Jun 21 '11 at 22:22

You could use the verb cram, which in addition to its more common meanings is used to describe the process of force-feeding Geese to produce Foie Gras (Source: FAO).

(A horrible thing to do to an animal, I think, so maybe it would generally have a negative connotation when used in the sense of force-feeding.)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.