English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In the same way that verbally means with spoken words, I'm looking for a term that means with written words. Is there such a word?

share|improve this question
NB: while verbally can mean with spoken words, it can also mean with words (whether spoken or not). Some situations will warrant the use of orally to avoid ambiguity. – snumpy Jun 13 '11 at 13:43
sir, this is an adverb! – Claudiu May 25 '13 at 22:55
up vote 6 down vote accepted

You can use textual or textually to convey this idea.

share|improve this answer

How about simply saying in writing?

share|improve this answer
+1: Or simply written, as in "You say you can recite the poem from memory, but I'd like to see a written version just to be sure." – Robusto Jun 12 '11 at 20:59
Or “in cold print” if it should be a bit more dramatic ;) – stff00 Jun 12 '11 at 21:14

Orthographically may be what you are looking for.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.