English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the antonym of "capital" (in the sense of city of governmental seat)? A related question: is there a term for referring to the whole set of cities that are not the capital within a country (or state, province)?

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Provincial. This is the term sometimes used in the UK.

share|improve this answer
Ok, but if I want to say, for example, that I live in some English city, but not London. How am I to say that? "I live in the countryside"? Is there a better term than that? – Otavio Macedo Jun 7 '11 at 23:20
What was unclear about "provincial"? You live in a provincial city. – Marcin Jun 7 '11 at 23:50
+1 NOAD: provincial – Callithumpian Jun 8 '11 at 0:29
@Otavio: If you said you live in the countryside, that would imply that you did not live in a town or city at all. As @Marcin says, provincial city would work. – psmears Jun 8 '11 at 11:44

The first word that comes to my mind is non-capital.

For example,

What are the largest non-capital cities in the world?

Minor, secondary or inferior also come to mind.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.