English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm not talking about onomatopoeia—I don't mean a word that describes a sound—I mean something along the lines of an aptronym, i.e. a perfect name such as Anthony Camera for a photographer (true story). What is the word for when a word just sounds like exactly what it means? I heard the word for this once, long ago, and have since forgotten it.

"Push" and "Pull" might be examples, in that the sounds they form evoke the physical actions denoted.

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Perhaps you're thinking of an ideophone, a broader idea than just onomatopoeia (not restricted to sound).

Mark Dingemanse explains ideophones:

English, for example, has ideophonic words like glimmer, twiddle, tinkle which are depictive of sensory imagery: their form betrays something of their meaning in ways that words "chair" and "dog" do not.

share|improve this answer
That's the one! Thank you! – Taj Moore Jun 7 '11 at 18:43
Just as a point of interest, Japanese is curious in that it conflates onomatopoeic and ideophonic nouns, e.g., "niko-niko" for gleaming teeth, "koro-koro" for rolling logs, and "kyoro-kyoro" for wandering around aimlessly. – The Raven Jun 7 '11 at 20:14
@TheRaven: how is that conflating them? – Mechanical snail Oct 11 '11 at 1:34
@TheRaven: Not to mention "pera-pera" to describe fluent, rapid speech. – Robusto Dec 1 '14 at 20:17
I believe the conflation, @Mechanicalsnail, is that while these words are not onomatopoeic, they are used as sound effects. Although, I would argue that koron-koron actually sounds like a bouncing/rolling object. We get the curious case of Chocolate Collon as a result of this association (imagine a little log-shaped cookie rolling down a hill koron-koron-koron…): amazon.com/Glico-Collon-Biscuit-Chocolate-Flavoured/dp/… – Taj Moore Feb 17 '15 at 17:33

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.