I have learnt these words so far, please correct me if I'm wrong:
- Dawn, maybe 4am–6am?
- Morning, maybe 6am–9am? The food for the morning is called breakfast. People greet each other Good morning!
- Noon, maybe 11am–1pm? The food is called lunch.
- Afternoon, maybe 2pm–4pm? People greet each other Good afternoon!
- Evening, maybe 6pm–9pm? The food for the evening is called supper. People greet each other Good evening!
- Night, maybe 9pm–11pm? However, Good night means "have a good sleep".
- Mid-night, maybe 11pm–1am?
You see, I've missed some parts of a day, I may be not correct on the time boundaries of each part, though.
I would like to complete the list, especially the part after the morning but before the afternoon. My teacher never told us to use the word noon, and good noon seems never used by anyone.
I would like to know each part of a day, its corresponding food term (like lunch, supper, etc.), and its corresponding greeting words, thanks.
I'll update the table to reflect the answers:
Part Begin End Meal Greeting ------------- ----- ----- ---------------- --------------------- morning/dawn 0:00 5:00 early morning 5:00 6:00 Good morning morning 6:00 9:00 breakfast Good morning mid-morning 9:00 11:59 elevenses/ Good morning morning tea/ brunch noon 12:00 12:00 - afternoon 12:00 17:00 lunch/ Good afternoon afternoon tea evening 17:00 21:00 supper Good evening night 21:00 23:00 night-time snack Good evening midnight 23:00 1:00 Good night