English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need a word that fits this case:
I have a book; and any User may apply some tags to it, like 'dark' or 'happy' [..]
Anyway, how would I call this action, using a short term?

share|improve this question
up vote 7 down vote accepted

On the internet, it's usually called "tagging".

share|improve this answer
book tagging fits, thanks. – Fabiano PS Jun 2 '11 at 14:36

Are you looking for categorize?

transitive verb

to place into a category : classify

share|improve this answer
+1 Very precise, but i shall take @Chisti's for context – Fabiano PS Jun 2 '11 at 14:36
Haha, until I saw your response I nearly edited the OP's title to change 'category' to 'categorize' :) – Robusto Jun 2 '11 at 14:46

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.