English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've seen

Age like wine

to describe this phenomenon, but I'm thinking that there's a single word or a more concise and descriptive phrase for this. I'd appreciate any help.

share|improve this question
up vote 13 down vote accepted

It would normally be described as an "acquired taste".

share|improve this answer
+1 -- my gut reaction. Something that you need to put a little effort into to come to appreciate, e.g. wine, (modern) art :-), Jazz, cheese, contemporary music, James Joyce, and so much more. (list is not complete) – teylyn Jun 2 '11 at 10:04

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.