English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I can hardly describe this, which is why I need the one word. When you shout "Ta-daa!" and throw your arms out at your sides, does anyone have a one-word description for what you're doing? Argh.

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Generally, it would be a flourish, but I believe the specific gesture you're talking about is sometimes described as "jazz hands".

share|improve this answer
I would call it "finishing with a flourish" (I know, not a single word). But "jazz hands" is really not the same thing. – Robusto Jun 1 '11 at 15:41
I agree that jazz hands is different. Jazz hands has kind of twinkly fingers. Flourish is the word that jumped to my mind, too, but doesn't necessarily involve a "ta-da!" – Kit Z. Fox Jun 1 '11 at 19:23
I think flourish is just right. Thanks, all! :) – Jan F. Jun 2 '11 at 14:32
Feel free to accept the answer. :) – Christi Jun 2 '11 at 14:45

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.