English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This is a bit of a cryptic one; I was wondering whether English has a word (or at least a phrase) to describe the lines typically drawn on a cartoon to indicate movement? A good example is the Windows XP 'Run' icon (in the top-left):

enter image description here

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Gesture lines can be used to indicate gestures, so I think that is a reasonable answer. I've seen motion lines more commonly used for the example that you have given.

share|improve this answer

I don't have a good answer for you, but I've seen similar things referred to as gesture lines.

From Answers.com:

Gesture lines are lines that are energetic and catch the movements and gestures of an active figure.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_gesture_line#ixzz1O1t4BWRg

share|improve this answer

These lines are called "movement lines" which is explained among other (comic related) techniques here

share|improve this answer
I've also heard them called "zoom lines". – user1579 Jun 1 '11 at 13:28

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.