English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a word for when, say, in an artwork, there are various items that are completely different to each other, or anachronistic? Like, for example, a watch from the 1800s and a Snoopy figurine?

share|improve this question

Formally, you could talk about them being an "incongruous" juxtaposition. And informally, you can say that they are "like chalk and cheese".

share|improve this answer

For the example of the watch and Snoopy, I would say the items are unrelated, if I saw them, for example, on a shop shelf.

share|improve this answer

Maybe you are looking for "surrealist", which is an adjective describing anything that was incongruously juxtaposed.

"Surrealism" refers to a movement which specialised in fantasy and incongruous juxtaposition.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.