English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When I am writing, and I want to leave something out, so that it gives an implied effect, I use this: ...

What is it called?

share|improve this question

closed as general reference by RegDwigнt May 26 '13 at 10:37

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Simply typing a punctuation mark into the search box on Wikipedia gets you right to the corresponding article. – RegDwigнt May 26 '13 at 10:39
up vote 17 down vote accepted

ellipsis noun (plural ellipses)
the omission from speech or writing of a word or words that are superfluous or able to be understood from contextual clues.
a set of dots indicating such an omission.

(New Oxford American Dictionary)

It is represented in Unicode by the glyph U+2026 HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS:

The details of typesetting ellipses is discussed briefly in the Wikipedia article linked above. In short, the decision is on how much space you put between the individual dots. This is a styling issue, which is settled by each publisher. (For example, in French, it is typical not to space them out more than three normal dots.)

share|improve this answer
Thanks a lot! Just what I needed. – Thursagen May 31 '11 at 12:22
FWIW, on the (standard) Mac keyboard, you can generate an … with [alt]+";". – Ben Hocking May 31 '11 at 12:57
On Windows, you can type … with Alt+Num 0133 (i.e. hold down the [left] Alt key, type 0133 on the numeric keypad, then release the Alt key). – Marthaª May 31 '11 at 16:21
Technically, they are called "points of ellipsis," and come in the 3- and 4-dot string. In professional typesetting, manuscript is prepared with manual periods - never the ellipsis character available in some typefaces - so that the typesetter can customize the space between the periods as required. – The Raven May 31 '11 at 19:30
@KristianAntonsen: that may be true for certain layouts, but it is definitely not the norm for European keyboards. Also, shortcuts are dependent on the OS and can be customized by the user. – nico Oct 8 '11 at 18:21

It's called an ellipsis which can make things sound more dangerous than they are, or it can be used so you don't put at the end more next time.

share|improve this answer
Check your spellings and grammar before hitting that "Post Your Answer" button. Hit "edit" if you already did. :) – Kris May 26 '13 at 7:03
The edit seems to be a guess as to what the answer meant to say. @Katie: What do you really mean to say here? – Drew Sep 9 '15 at 17:58

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.