English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

While writing about a factory that produces pipes, I needed to refer to how the metal was melted and put into molds/moulds. Which one is it, and is there a correct spelling or are both acceptable?

share|improve this question
up vote 16 down vote accepted

"mold" is the US spelling, "mould" is the British English spelling. No other difference.

Same applies for other meanings of mould/mold, i.e the fungus that grows on rotting substances, for example.

share|improve this answer
We revolted because the Redcoats stole our 'u's. – Oldcat May 21 '14 at 23:26

I'm from upstate New York and was schooled that 'mold' is the stuff that causes spoilage. 'Mould' is to form or shape. Moulding is the process of forming something or the formed piece itself, as in architectural moulding. A few years ago, our area finally got a Lowes store. I actually laughed out loud when I saw they had a sign claiming they had a 'molding' department! Yikes! Also a bit perplexed by all of the Spanish signage, especially since even our highway signs are written in English and French as we're only a few yards from Quebec.

share|improve this answer
In the UK, mould is the spelling for both meanings dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/mould_1?q=mould and dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/mould_2 – Tristan r May 12 '14 at 18:45

The Online Etymology Dictionary has "mould: see mold(2)", where 2 is the sense for fungus, however, mould is the accepted spelling in British English for all senses. Likewise mold in American English.

The three senses have interesting derivations, and I was not aware of the third one before now: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=mold

share|improve this answer
John Brown's body lies a-mold'ring in the grave. – GEdgar Aug 12 '11 at 21:51
@GEdgar ah! John Brown's body lies a-crumbling in the grave. I previously thought "a-mold'ring" meant there was fungus growing on it. – John Ferguson Aug 17 '11 at 15:10
Sense 3 is presumably the one used in leaf mould which is more common than *mould*(3) on its own. It's also called "leaf mulch" even though it can be used as potting compost as well as mulch, presumably to avoid the connotations of *mould*(2). Apparently leaf mould is actually made by fungi (unlike normal compost which is mainly bacteria), giving a nice is coincidental link between 2 of the meanings – Chris H Nov 28 '13 at 14:49

Mould is to mold as colour is to color.

share|improve this answer

There is also a town called Mold (like the American spelling) in Wales, UK. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mold,_Flintshire


share|improve this answer

If you're pouring Jell'O into a mould/mold it would be mold, because if it was "mould" you would be pouring JELLY into it. QED

share|improve this answer

Personally I have always used, perhaps was taught, that mold is the organic nasty stuff that makes you throw out food or apply bleach to kill it in the shower. (1) Moulding is what trims the walls of your house or is (2) a process using a 'mould' to form Jello, plastic, bricks or anything into a permanent or semi-permanent shape. Moulding can also be used to describe the act of creating character. Much like gild vs guild, I imagine; which someday may be used interchangeably also, since guild is rarely used anymore. Conversely the English 'smoulder' and American 'smolder' are like 'colour' and 'color', just an easy way to identify the educational system of the writer.

Being an 'old' English Major I dislike the modern impreciseness of the language that (especially American) English has acquired over the years, in particular the acceptance of i.e. 'forwards' instead of 'forward' or 'afterwards' instead of 'afterward'. Either are deemed acceptable in modern usage but I find the usage of the plural 's' on either word superfluous.

share|improve this answer

I was of the belief that mold is what you pour your Jell-o into, and mould was what might grow on your bread.

share|improve this answer
Me too, but the dictionary says otherwise! You learn something new every day. – Pitarou Jun 30 '12 at 9:12

There seems some need to distinguish a fungus from a thing you pour jello into. I like "mold" for the former and "mould" for the latter and some use the words that way. Dictionaries just codify what's being done. So, why not choose the usage that makes sense and know the dictionary will eventually catch up?

James (Jim) Minard PhD

share|improve this answer

protected by tchrist Aug 13 '14 at 14:45

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.