English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I visited someone in the hospital today and was struck by some unpleasant associations from seeing "Patient Discharge" on a sign. Surely there is a better word for this...what do they call it in UK countries?

share|improve this question
That's what we call it. – z7sg Ѫ May 27 '11 at 17:46
up vote 2 down vote accepted


Patient Release

would be better?

share|improve this answer
Yes, that's definitely better. – JeffSahol May 27 '11 at 17:40
Patient Release sounds much more enjoyable... a real happy ending to a hospital stay ;) – Dancrumb May 27 '11 at 20:50
In the sense that "If you're patient enough,you will soon be released"? :P – abhiii5459 May 28 '11 at 11:42

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.