English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I used to say cleats but found it uncommon for some people, though I had no trouble with soccer shoes. I have always lived in a Spanish-speaking country (Nicaragua) so I find it hard to know why that is. Are cleats only used in some places? Wikipedia also mentions football boots.

share|improve this question
My Midwestern upbringing/vocabulary fully understood what "cleats" meant. – MrHen May 24 '11 at 17:28
up vote 5 down vote accepted

The term "cleat" as a kind of shoe was entirely unknown to me until I encountered the word in Tom Lehrer's Masochism Tango . In the UK they are usually "football boots" (possibly replace "football" by a different sport, but not "soccer", which is a synonym for "football" in the UK). The individual protrusions on the base (which I'm guessing are also called "cleats" in the US) are called "studs" or "spikes".

Edit: I actually supposed for a long time that the "cleats" that Lehrer referred to were some bit of SM equipment, like the "lash" elsewhere in the song. It wasn't until years later that I discovered that this is an ordinary word for spiked shoes in the US. I don't believe the word is widely known in this sense in the UK even now.

share|improve this answer
Yeah i guess i won't be using cleat to refer to a shoe type anymore, thanks! – amosrivera May 24 '11 at 17:02
+1 for Tom Lehrer! Also: Yes, in the US we do refer to the spikes themselves as "cleats"; the word has a number of other spiky/grippy-sounding meanings as well. The shoes that baseball players wear are called cleats... and sometimes even "spikes"! – MT_Head May 24 '11 at 17:45
Note also that anything beefy enough to have spikes on is likely to be called a "boot" in the UK, rather than a "shoe". – Colin Fine May 25 '11 at 11:23
@ColinFine not necessarily - "running shoes" have spikes on, and are shoes rather than boots. Golf shoes also. Football and rugby boots are so-called because they were proper boots (ie above the ankle) in the nineteenth century and the names stuck. – Richard Gadsden Jun 30 '14 at 12:30

In the USA they are almost always called "cleats". (Note that there are different types for just about any outdoor sport, including what we call "soccer cleats").

I am starting to hear soccer cleats referred to as "boots" by some of my fellow players. I think they picked this up from watching English League soccer, and like to say it that way to show how serious they are about the sport. I could see that term catching on in a few years.

share|improve this answer

I've used cleats to refer to soccer shoes for a long time, but that's because I don't play any of the other sports that typically require cleats! My dad golfs; when he says "cleats" he means his golfing shoes, which are also cleated, though in a different style.

share|improve this answer

For baseball/ golf they are "spikes"

Football (U.S.) "cleats"

Soccer/ rugby "boots"

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.