English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My friend claims there are people who have or are perceived to have some disorder where they must watch the news every day or they feel very agitated. Disregarding the truth of such a claim, what would you call such people? He suggested "newsivore" and I would just say "news obsessed."

Is there a proper term?

share|improve this question
It is a form of OCD. – Phira May 21 '11 at 9:25
You may use "nerd" and "geek". – Manoochehr May 21 '11 at 9:50
Every day? Isn't that (or shouldn't that be) a cultural norm? Kids these days, can't even pick up a newspaper? – Mitch May 21 '11 at 16:52
up vote 13 down vote accepted

News junkie. 'Junkie' originally, and by default still, means a heroin addict, but has been applied to addicts to other things.

As an example, here is the phrase used in a BBC interview with an actress in a BBC programme about a news programme:

"I am a news junkie, definitely," she admits. "I read the paper pretty much every day, as well as getting news from the internet and on TV.

share|improve this answer
Correct. This is an established term, popularized by everyone's favorite Doctor of Journalism, gonzo-wise. – The Raven May 21 '11 at 11:34

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.