English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When people say consumer-tech, what exactly do they mean?

What's a "consumer-tech weblog" / "consumer-tech website" (and why is it called that way)?

share|improve this question
An interesting question 'why' as I somewhat doubt that the majority of non-technically inclined consumers realize the use of searching for "consumer tech" ;P – Garet Claborn May 19 '11 at 14:42
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Consumer tech generally means technology produced for, marketed to, and used ("consumed") by "average" people rather than used in a professional setting. An IPad is consumer tech, but industrial grade telecom equipment is not.

A consumer tech weblog (blog) or website is simply a website discussing those items.

share|improve this answer
Also, "consumer tech" would usually be written without a hyphen, as Chloraphil has it here. It is hyphenated in the source phrase because it is being used as a compound modifier. – phenry May 19 '11 at 16:28

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.