Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My work colleagues and I have been having a discussion about doctors (we work in healthcare), and we're split down the middle as to whether a specialist doctor would have a speciality, or a specialty (no "i"). Is there a specific use for each word, or can they be interchanged?

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

up vote 7 down vote accepted

There seems to be divergence on that point:


I suspect that specialty is American English and speciality is British English.

Edit: Others seem to think so as well.

share|improve this answer
This resource has some nice examples of BrE vs AmE usage in the press. –  James Mar 5 at 15:38

Specialty is the word used in American English (the OED reports it's chiefly Northern American), while speciality is used in British English.

In medicine (as for what reported by the OED) both specialty and speciality are used.

share|improve this answer

It's standard US medical editing practice to change instances of "specialities" to "specialties." Note the certifying agency: American Board of Medical Specialties.

share|improve this answer

Ideally, both of them mean the same thing. The usage is the only difference. Like prioritise and prioritize.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.