Sign up ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A fork usually has three points, what are the individual points called? Trident points?

share|improve this question
Wasn't this a question on yesterday? – Kit Z. Fox May 17 '11 at 19:05

1 Answer 1

up vote 18 down vote accepted

I think the correct word is tine, but you will be understood if you say prong or something similar.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.