English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I don't know if this is a real word, but when I was in high school my teacher had a Word-a-Day vocabulary calendar. She read us a word one day with a definition of "To contemplate one's navel for cosmic significance" or something similar. I forget the word, and have not found it since.

Seems like I remember the word starting with an 'O'.

Does this word exist? What is it?

share|improve this question
up vote 11 down vote accepted

Sounds like navel-gazing to me.

–noun Slang.
excessive absorption in self-analysis or focus on a single issue.

Edit: Starting with an 'O', I'll go with omphaloskepsis. It's the fancy Greek term for navel-gazing :).

contemplation of one's navel as part of a mystical exercise.

share|improve this answer
Seems like I remember the word starting with an 'O'. I added that to the question. I don't recall it having 'navel' in the word either. Thanks though! – Jim McKeeth May 17 '11 at 3:15
Ah, then I suggest omphaloskepsis. Answer edited accordingly. – ajk May 17 '11 at 3:20
Ah, that does appear to be what I remember! Thanks! – Jim McKeeth May 17 '11 at 3:21

protected by RegDwigнt Jun 8 '12 at 8:52

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.