English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've googled for a while and on some sites I've found the word "watershed" as the proposed word. Is it the word that best suits it?

share|improve this question
A watershed is a line where rain water is divided (i.e. will it flow into one valley to the river there, or to the other valley), so typically found atop hills. – Simon Richter May 16 '11 at 10:00
A watershed is the area of land where water drains to a common point. A divide is the line that divides watersheds. – Jay Elston May 16 '11 at 22:30
up vote 103 down vote accepted

In geography, a confluence is the meeting of two or more bodies of water. It usually refers to the point where two streams flow together, merging into a single stream.

share|improve this answer
+1 Nice answer... This question also reminded me of when i used to study Geography earlier in my student career :D – Alenanno May 16 '11 at 8:49
Indeed it reminded of my geography classes too while at primary school...but since it's way too back...I forgot it. – mannyee May 16 '11 at 9:57
I didn't seriously study any geography, but I do use Atlassian's Wiki which is named Confluence. – Ed Guiness May 16 '11 at 10:21
Flannery O'Conner wrote that "confluence" was one of her favorite words. Easy to see why - it's a strong metaphor. – The Raven May 16 '11 at 13:44
@The Raven Yes it is, and onomatopoeic, to my ears at least. – Ed Guiness May 16 '11 at 15:26

You can also use the word junction, as in the

junction of the Grand and the Green

near Moab, Utah.

share|improve this answer

It can either be a tributary or a distributary, where a river joins another or separate from one respectively.

It is called a confluence. A tributary is a smaller river joining a larger one. A distributary is a river flowing into the sea.

share|improve this answer
More specifically, a tributary is a small river or stream joining the main river – user8755 May 17 '11 at 8:07

You could also use the word "fork" which is less formal. A watershed is all of the land area that a given body of water drains.

share|improve this answer
Except that a fork takes one and makes two, a confluence takes two and makes one. – Ed Guiness May 16 '11 at 9:37

It could also be an "estuary":

[A] partly enclosed coastal body of water with one or more rivers or streams flowing into it, and with a free connection to the open sea.

share|improve this answer
That's pretty far from "a place where two rivers meet", since it does not require more than one river, and does require the open sea. – LarsH May 17 '11 at 1:40

protected by RegDwigнt May 17 '11 at 8:42

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.