Sign up ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So many newly-weds have this practice of calling one another ridiculous but affectionate names i.e. honey-bunch, or 'bunny-boo' etc.

Is there a single-word term for this practice?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Hypocorism might do the trick. Otherwise a "term of endearment" is a specific hypocorism that addresses what you are talking about.

share|improve this answer
But personally I would go for drippy. – NateMPLS May 14 '11 at 5:34
And, I see now that you wanted a single-word term... Please be gentle in the down-votes. :) – NateMPLS May 14 '11 at 5:36
Got it. I love wikipedia. – NateMPLS May 14 '11 at 5:39
Were I feeling snarky, I might suggest, "saccharinism." – The Raven May 14 '11 at 9:20
My husband and I call it "schmooping." – Kit Z. Fox May 14 '11 at 18:34

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.