English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The usual "Working Hard?" greeting can be rearranged to "Hardly Working!" reply.

Is there a name for this process?
In the above statement instead of using "rearranging" can one use "permuting" instead?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted


share|improve this answer
+1ed it, no idea why somebody would have voted down this. – Arjang May 14 '11 at 4:12

reshuffling (not only used for decks of cards) ?

share|improve this answer
definitely accptable as alternate to permuting. +1ed it too – Arjang May 14 '11 at 4:14


share|improve this answer
intrestingly relavent word, although not the answer but thanks for the intrsting word. +1 it too. – Arjang May 14 '11 at 4:13

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.