English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a name for the tabloid media practice of part-initializing, part-abbreviating people's names?

E.g. Jennifer Lopez -> J-Lo, Robert Pattinson -> R-Patz and so on.

share|improve this question
Annoying, is what I call it. – Mr. Shiny and New 安宇 May 13 '11 at 14:08
My favorite truncation of this type is the one for the New York Knicks' all-star center (now retired) Patrick Ewing: P-Ew. – Sven Yargs Feb 20 '13 at 4:38

I would say it's a diminutive, or a nickname (although nickname implies somewhat more familiarity to my ears, it is used in the news as such: “Jennifer Lopez, known by her nickname J-Lo”).

share|improve this answer

I think you could probably just call these nicknames — they are highly stylized nicknames, but nicknames nonetheless.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.