English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
What is the word that denotes the words preceding these nouns?

Would it still be a noun, an adjective, or something else?


A stone fortress

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Cerberus, RegDwigнt May 11 '11 at 9:27

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

In most cases, I believe, the 'other things' are themselves going to be some kind of nouns, in that case:

Nouns can sometimes describe other nouns (such as a soccer ball). When they do this, they are called modifiers.

Quoted from and refer for more details: http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noun

share|improve this answer
Plus that Modifiers can be adjectives, adverbs, infinitive phrases and participle phrases. – Gigili May 10 '11 at 18:05
Your answer is very ambiguous,I mean it has some mistakes. – Gigili May 10 '11 at 18:19

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.