English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Synonyms for "multiple things that reside in the same location" - I can think of "colocated," which I've only seen in an engineering context. Do any other words fit the bill?

share|improve this question
'colocated' sounds fine to me. – Mitch Jun 19 '11 at 21:49
up vote 3 down vote accepted

try juxtaposed from juxtapose

To place (two or more objects) close together; place side by side.

or even cohabit

To dwell together; inhabit or reside in company or in the same place or country.

share|improve this answer
Given that cohabit also means "to live together as spouses" -- i.e., screw -- you might want to consider a different word. – Malvolio May 10 '11 at 2:16
@Malvolio good point - I think most people know this meaning but I think you can use the other sense if you establish the context properly – Paul Amerigo Pajo May 10 '11 at 10:17
if a word has one meaning with a sexual or suggestive meaning, I've noticed, that meaning tends to crowd out other meanings. When was the last time you heard ejaculate to mean "say abruptly" or crotch to mean "the point where a tree branch joins the trunk". Even harmless words like ball and blow can be causes for merriment. – Malvolio May 10 '11 at 15:23
@Malvolio this might just be a matter of perspective but cohabit doesn't exactly have the same sexual or suggestive meanings vs. the words that you just mentioned - I might be in the minority with that observation but that's how I see it. I don't see anybody having fun in a bar with a word like "cohabit" :P (unless it has something to do with something that nuns wear - but that would be another matter :P ) – Paul Amerigo Pajo May 11 '11 at 16:31

How about


I think this might be too vague for what you're looking for.

share|improve this answer

How about co-ubietous?

Outside of narrow, technical and philosophical contexts, ubiety means "the state of being located somewhere particular," which seems just the right start for what you're seeking.

share|improve this answer
Nice, way to pull out the big guns. But I don't believe the adjective form is a real word. – ash Jun 20 '11 at 1:09
@Jasie - I find nothing improprietous about this "co-ubietous." If you remain dubious, perhaps you could try "co-ubious?" – pilcrow Jun 21 '11 at 13:02

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.