English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top
  1. What are these called in English?
  2. Are they same thing as "Gosh" or "Gee"?
  3. Maybe sounds of emotional changes?
share|improve this question
up vote 8 down vote accepted

These are called interjections.

In grammar, an interjection or exclamation is a lexical category used to express an isolated emotion or sentiment on the part of the speaker [...]. Filled pauses such as uh, er, um, are also considered interjections. Interjections are typically placed at the beginning of a sentence.

Gosh and gee are interjections, too.

share|improve this answer
+1 - Just for the record, they are also called Discourse Fillers (or maybe just Fillers I'm not sure now, but anyway, note that they are different from the Discourse Markers). – Alenanno May 7 '11 at 17:51

"Grrrr" and "argh" are onomatopea, at least accoridng to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onomatopoeia (notice the extra i)

share|improve this answer
Er ... no, they're not. They are neither onomatopoeic, nor mentioned in that WP article. – Colin Fine May 7 '11 at 22:47

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.