Tell focuses on giving information.
Please tell me your name.
Say focuses on the act of speaking
Please say that again because I
didn't hear what you said.
I guess here, better to use "tell"
- Say is used to report someone's
She said "I'm thirsty."
She said that she was thirsty.
- Say is followed by 'to' before the
Did she say that to you?
- Say is used to ask about languages :
How do you say 'water' in Spanish?
We say :
hello, goodbye, please, thank you,
congratulations, Merry Christmas,
Happy New Year, Happy Birthday!
- Tell is used to inform or instruct :
Could you tell me the way to the station please?
Tell the children to go to bed!
- Tell is followed directly by the
Did she tell you her name?
- Tell is used for narration :
Tom is good at telling stories.
We tell :
the time, our name, the truth, lies,
the difference between two things.