Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In a piece of software, what would I call a place or building where products may be stored before their export or distribution for sale, particularly for online stores (such as Amazon.com)?

It will look like this:

  • Small Independent _____ has 200 item(s).
  • Books, Electronics and DVD/VCD products in the Medium Owned _____.
share|improve this question
Why was the question downvoted? Edit: canceled vote. –  Alenanno May 5 '11 at 9:25

4 Answers 4

up vote 5 down vote accepted

A bit more information may help you select between the other answers.

A warehouse is any building used primarily to store goods.

A distribution centre is a warehouse typically used to dispatch goods in bulk to retail outlets. A distributor is distinct from a retailer (online or otherwise).

A fulfillment centre is a warehouse typically used to dispatch goods to individual consumers. It "fulfills" customer orders directly.

share|improve this answer

What's wrong with warehouse?

share|improve this answer

How about fulfillment center ?

share|improve this answer

Distribution Centre includes warehouses and other buildings that perform this function.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.